How to whiten your teeth naturally
Want that Hollywood smile? While there are a number of cosmetic treatments available on the market, Dr Richard Marques reveals that the secret to a whiter, brighter smile could be as simple as making a few small changes to your diet. Read on for his top tips to whiten teeth naturally at home.
1. Use Baking Soda! Baking Soda is a natural teeth whitener and included in many toothpastes. Try mixing a quarter teaspoon of Baking Soda with water and applying this to the teeth with your toothbrush. Alternatively add the Baking Soda to a cheap toothpaste. It will not damage your teeth in any way but will make them look gradually whiter over time. Science – Baking Soda is a natural cleaning and oxidising agent.
2. Eat strawberries: Due to the Malic acid these can naturally whiten your teeth. Science – Malic acid is a natural cleanser.
3. Warm salt water: Helps both whiten your teeth naturally and looks after your gums (as it is a natural antibacterial). Mix a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm kettle boiled water (cool it down) and use it as mouthwash. Science – Salt is a natural antibacterial working by attacking bacterial cell walls.
STORY: 5 DIY beauty ingredients for healthy, glowing skin
4. Eat white foods: The whiter the foods you eat the whiter your teeth will be. Eat chicken, rice and fish. Avoid pigmented foods such as beetroot, blueberries, carrots and Chinese/Indian takeaway (which has lots of turmeric or food colourings). Science – white foods have no colourings. Food colourings stain teeth by binding to tooth surface.
5. Eat apples: Apples are one of the natural teeth cleansing foods. Science – once again Malic acid is a natural cleanser.
6. Drink water or milk: You can also drink lemonade or tonic water. White wine is better than red wine. Science – Calcium in milk helps strengthen tooth enamel and structure as well as jaw bone. Water is a natural cleanser washing away plaque.
7. Use an electric toothbrush: Electric toothbrushes can remove up to 70% more plaque than manual brushes alone. The new Sonicare Black Diamond brush vibrates at a speed of 31,000 brush strokes per minute and also has whitening mode (that is a special three-minute cycle for the all the teeth) to remove any stains. Science – electric toothbrushes remove more stains by vibrating or rotating in a more efficient and effective manner than manual brushing alone.
STORY: Catwalk beauty trends from runway to real life
8. Eat cheese: Another great naturally cleansing food that can strengthen the teeth. Science-cheese contains calcium and also has a cleansing surface structure (especially hard cheese like cheddar).
9. Use coconut oil as a mouth rinse (oil pulling): Use a tablespoon of coconut oil and swill in the mouth for as long as you can. The longer the better (15 mins is the ideal time). Science – This removes bacteria and helps prevent plaque and stains from sticking to teeth by lubricating them.
10. See your dentist regularly: To have the teeth cleaned and checked. You can also consider professional in-clinic laser teeth whitening if advised. Science – only your dentist can check thoroughly for cavities. X-Rays may be required to check the inside of the teeth and jaws. Laser teeth whitening uses hydrogen peroxide activated by a laser light to remove staining from inside the teeth in just 1 hour.
11. Use Charcoal to help clean and whiten your teeth: It’s a 100% natural tooth polish made from activated coconut shell charcoal. It strengths gums, removes toxins from the mouth and absorbs bacteria and is affordable – Diamond Whites for example offers this for only £16.99.
See more beauty tips and tutorials here.
Thanks to: Hellomagazine.com – Beauty updates